Building Department

Building Permit FAQs

Is a permit required? 
You will need to obtain a permit for most general construction, plumbing and electrical projects.  A permit is also required for signs, fences (new or replacement), sheds, gazebos, pergolas, sidewalks, driveway apron, widening driveway and swimming pools greater than 24". Permits are not required for painting or wall covering, general landscaping, re-shingling a roof, replacing but not moving plumbing fixtures (except water heaters), cabinets or counter tops and siding. If you are unsure whether a permit is needed, please call the Code Department at 215-947-3100. Work performed without obtaining a permit first can result in the doubling of fees. 

How much is a building permit fee?
Township building permit fees can be found here. Permit fees can be paid by cash or check made payable to Lower Moreland Township. Please note that permit fees are paid when application is submitted. 

Does the Township license contractors?

The Township does not license contractors and cannot make recommendations to residents.The Township does register plumbers. A plumbing permit must be pulled by a registered master plumber.

How long does it take for a permit to be processed?
The turn around time for a residential permit application is 15 business days and 30 business days for a commercial permit application.

Do I need a survey and architectural/engineer stamped plans?
Architectural/engineer stamped plans and a professional survey is required for all permits unless waived by the Township Building Department.

Does the Township issue Certificates of Occupancy?
The Township issues a Certificate of Occupancy for residential and commercial work but not for residential real estate resale. The Township requires the issuance of a Use and Occupancy Certificate for a change of occupancy of non-residential buildings, structures and facilities where a building permit is not required. The Use and Occupancy Certificate inspection includes a zoning review and fire inspection. 

Street & Right-Of-Way Permits
The majority of properties in Lower Moreland Township are adjacent to or require access from a public right-of-way. This could include a street, sidewalk or other form of public property. Work in this area is strictly prohibited unless permitting has been obtained and all work is in accordance with state and local specifications.

- Any work within the sidewalks, driveways, gutters or street will require a right-of-way permit. 

- Always call before you dig. PA One Call, 1-800-242-1776, Pennsylvania law required no less than 3 days no more than 10 working days before you dig.

- All work done in the right of way requires liability insurance showing the amount of $250,000/$500,000 and $100,000 for property damage.

Floodplain Regulations

The Township's Floodplain Conservation and Damage Prevention ordinance aims to protect areas of the floodplain necessary to contain floodwater, to permit only those uses in the floodplain that are compatible with preserving natural conditions and stream flow, along with promoting the general health, welfare, and safety of the community by controlling or preventing development in areas prone to flooding. The ordinance also complies with federal and state floodplain management requirements.

FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Map
FEMA's Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM) are used to determine the need for property owners to carry flood insurance.  Visit FEMA's Flood Map Service Center to find your flood map, access a range of other flood hazard products and take advantage of tools for better understanding flood risk.